FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Cross Country News

October 7, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Brown, Blair Top Cougar Runners at Royals Challenge

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Sophia Brown continued her outstanding start to the season by finishing 12th in a field of 269 runners at the Royals Challenge at McAlpine Creek Park in Charlotte.

Brown led the Cougar women for the third time in as many meets this fall with a 5K time of 18:08.8. She was followed by four others in the top 50, a quarter headed by Rhian Purves who was 24th in 18:24.4.

Hannah Wise (43rd, 18:51.5), Emily Dorony (44th, 18:52.4) and Shannon Smith (66th, 19:11.8) rounded out the women’s scorers. Charleston finished third out of 27 teams with 150 points, one spot ahead of South Carolina.

“I thought the ladies ran well,” said head coach Amy Seago. “We made some progress with our packs and several individuals stepped up to close gaps. I’m particularly proud of how unified this group is.”

Hammer Blair turned in a PR with a time of 25:47.1 in the 8K race to finish 57th among a total of 257 competitors. Jack Wedge also placed in the top 100, crossing 88 th in 26:24.2. Also scoring for the men were Jackson Reid (26:51.7), Brock Davee (27:28.9) and Dylan McTigue (27:31.9).

The Cougars finished 16th out of 28 teams in the men’s standings.

“Today was a major step forward since it was the first meet where we lined up all nine men,” said assistant coach Chris Bailey. “Hammer led us for the first time and showed we have a strong and interchangeable top three. We look forward to building on this next week at ECU.”

Both teams are back in action next Friday at the Pirate Invitational hosted by East Carolina.

Women’s Results

Sophia Brown (18:08.8)

Rhian Purves (18:24.4)

Hannah Wise (18:51.5)

Emily Dorony (18:52.4)

Shannon Smith (19:11.8)

Cayden Crismon (19:30.3)

Allie Pujol (20:04.8)

Meike Kalus (20:44.8)

Grace McGrew (21:02.9)

Reagan Wells (21:11.4)

Andie Harding (21:12.2)

Men’s Results

Hammer Blair (25:47.1)

Jack Wedge (26:24.2)

Jackson Reid (26:51.7)

Brock Davee (27:28.9)

Dylan McTigue (27:31.9)

Tucker Green (27:58.7)

Nik Pettinga (28:03.3)

Joshua Keifer (29:38.8)

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.