FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Women’s Soccer News

September 25, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Dawes Goals, Stalwart Defense Gives Cougars Win Over Delaware

MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – Delaney Dawes scored both College of Charleston goals, and the Cougars played an outstanding defensive game in a 2-1 victory over Delaware on Sunday at Ralph Lundy Field at Patriots Point.

Charleston snapped a short two-game losing streak and evened its CAA record to 1-1 (7-4 overall). The Blue Hens dropped to 1-7-3 overall and 0-2 in the conference.

Dawes broke a scoreless draw in the 35th minute off a feed from Grace Powell and gave the Cougars an important insurance goal in the 69th minute with her second of the game and third of the season.

The defense played its part in securing the win. Still ahead just 1-0 in the 54th minute, Shae Yocum stopped a shot heading to an empty goal to keep the Cougar in front. Bunny Nazari repeated that with just eight minutes remaining to keep Delaware from creating a tie.

“It was an incredible 90-minute effort from the Cougs today,” said head coach Christian Michner. “Delaware pushed us to the limit and ready made us dig in and gut it out. They say good teams always find a way to win and today was a great example of that.”

Dawes matched Grace Powell and Bubbles Dever for the team lead in shots with three, and the Cougars finished with 18 to 12 for Delaware. Charleston also had seven corners to only two for the Blue Hens.

“My team was at sixes and sevens there for a little while, but we figured it out and got two fantastic goals from Delaney to steal the three points,” said Michner. “I am very happy with this team’s ability to win in different ways, and we will be ready to go for another one on Thursday.”

The Cougars wrap up their current three-game homestand on Thursday against CAA newcomer Hampton at 2 p.m.

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.