FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Women’s Soccer News

September 16, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Cougars Winning Streak Snapped at Furman

GREENVILLE, S.C. – Savannah Barron set a career high with 10 saves to keep College of Charleston close, but the Cougars dropped a 1-0 decision at Furman to end their four-game winning streak.

Charleston (6-3) had several scoring chances, finishing 17 shots including 10 on target, but could not find the back of the net. Barron faced 20 shots with 11 on goal in topping her previous high save total of nine against Towson last October.

Grace Powell led the Cougars with five shots and had four on target. Faith Slimmer added four shots, and Abby Fisher and Delaney Dawes both had two that were saved.

Barron stopped a shot by Nieva Gaither, but Stella Garcia put in the rebound in the 26th minute for the only goal of the game. The Paladins (5-4) took 14 shots in the first half, but the Charleston defense held them to only six over the final 45 minutes.

“Tonight was a tale of two halves for the Cougars,” said head coach Christian Michner. “We didn’t have a great performance in the first half but were absolutely fantastic in the second in an incredible response from this team.”

Dawes had consecutive shots on goal in the 76th minute in an attempt to even the game. The Cougars had one final scoring opportunity in the closing seconds, but a Jenna Snead shot was off target.

“We were unlucky not to score a few goals but credit to Furman for battling and getting the deciding goal,” said Michner. “We had an awesome non-conference, and we’re ready for the CAA.”

Charleston opens its conference slate at home on Thursday at 7 p.m. against Drexel.

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.