FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Cross Country News

September 1, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]

Cougars Open 2022 Cross Country Season at Buccaneer Open

CHARLESTON, S.C. – The College of Charleston men’s and women’s cross country teams compete for the first time this fall at the Buccaneer Open hosted by Charleston Southern on Friday morning.

The women’s 4K race begins at 9 a.m. followed by the men’s 6K at 9:45. The field includes host CSU, Allen, Newberry, SC State, The Citadel and USC Beaufort. The meet is the first of five during the regular season for the Cougars leading up to the CAA Championships on October 28.

“It’s always good to get the season underway,” said head coach Amy Seago. “We are excited to get the first race under our belts and get a true gauge of where we are.”

The women return three scorers from last year’s CAA Championships including senior Rhian Purves, who ranks fifth in school history in the 6K (21:23.6). Senior Emily Dorony and sophomore Sophia Brown also contributed points at the conference meet.

Also back are graduate students Grace McGrew, Olivia Kneski and Allie Pujol, senior Isabel Muehleman, junior Shannon Smith and sophomores Meike Kalus and Delaney O’Sullivan. Transfers Abbey Arnett and Hannah Wise (both from Georgia Southern) and Reagan Wells (Newberry) are new to the roster.

Rounding out the 15-woman squad are freshmen Cayden Crismon and Andie Harding.

Graduate student Jack Wedge is back to pace the men after finishing first among his teammates in five of seven meets a year ago. Wedge ranks sixth in the Cougar record book in the 8K (25:29.18).

Sophomore Dylan McTigue and junior Jackson Reid also scored at the CAA Meet, with Reid leading the team twice during the season. Junior Hammer Blair and sophomores Joshua Keifer, Dylan McTigue and Nik Pettinga return and are joined by freshmen Brock Davee, Tucker Green and Joshua Silverman.

-----
To unsubscribe, click on this link: Remove