FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Men’s Soccer News

August 28, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Elliott’s Second Half Goal Gives Charleston Draw with Memphis

BIRMINGHAM, ALA. – Freshman Chris Elliott scored his first career goal in the 48th minute to lift the College of Charleston into a 1-1 deadlock against Memphis at the UAB Soccer for a Cure Classic.

The Cougars split their two season-opening games in Birmingham and play their first home and CAA match on Saturday against Delaware at 1 p.m. The contest with the Blue Hens will be the annual Aaron Olitsky Memorial Game.

Charleston fell behind on a goal by Gabriel Christensen in the 23rd minute and was still behind 1-0 at intermission. Just 2:23 into the second half, Elliott took a feed from Chris Matlashewski and scored the tying goal.

The Cougars had a chance to take the lead on shots by Rio Murray in the 73rd and 76th minutes but were unable to convert. The Tigers (1-0-1) had a shot in the final seconds sail high of the target.

“We played two tough games this weekend, and I am proud of the boys’ response after the loss on Friday,” said head coach Keith Wiggans. “We still have plenty of areas to improve. They have bought into what we are asking which is great to see.”

Charleston finished with 10 shots with Murray leading the way with three. Leonardo D’Ambrosio and Iker Carew both contributed two shots, and Olly Marshall made three saves in goal.

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.