FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Men’s Soccer News

August 25, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Cougars Head to Birmingham to Open 2022 Campaign

UAB Video<https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/89a69801-8acc-48c1-84b7-2b8a10bf0900>

Live Stats<https://uabsports.com/sidearmstats/msoc/summary> (both games)

CHARLESTON, S.C. – College of Charleston kicks off its 2022 men’s soccer season with two games at the UAB Soccer for a Cure Classic at PNC Field in Birmingham, Ala.

The Cougars face the host Blazers on Friday at 8 p.m. and Memphis on Sunday at 12:30. Only the UAB game will be streamed, but live stats will be available for both games. See links above.

Charleston returns eight field players who saw action in nine more games last season, including Kane Ritchie who led the team with five goals. Rio Murray (2 goals, team-high 4 assists) and Nick Burnz (2 goals) are also back.

The Cougars have returners John Cetin and Justin Bauer, Coastal Carolina transfer Jourdan Schumacher and freshman Olly Marshall as candidates to replace Cameron Smith in goal.

“I am really excited about the weekend. The preseason has gone quickly, but the boys are applying what we have asked of them,” said head coach Keith Wiggans. “UAB and Memphis will be two good tests for us. I am confident in the boys and know they are ready.”

UAB has its top two goal scorers and leading assist producer back. Nathaniel St. Louis and Brooks Rice scored five and four goals, respectively, while Teodor Thorvaldsen had four assists. Neither goalkeeper who played in 2021 are still with the team.

The Blazers won the only meeting against the Cougars, taking a 2-1 victory at home in 2013.

Memphis opens its season against Queens (N.C.) on Friday. The Tigers lost their two leading scorers from a year ago, with Toby McCallum and Emanuel Santos back after scoring two goals and adding two assists in 2021.

Colin Welsh made nine starts and had a 1.65 goals against average and .754 save percentage.

Charleston is 1-0 against Memphis, blanking the Tigers 2-0 in Greenville, S.C., in 2012.

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.