FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Softball News

May 1, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]

McCants Tosses Shutout to Put Cougars on Cusp of CAA Tournament

MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – Carli McCants continued her mastery in the circle with her second shutout of the weekend, leading the College of Charleston to a 1-0 victory over Towson and its first series sweep of the season.

The Cougars improved to 7-10 in the CAA and need just one win or one Drexel loss next weekend to qualify for the five-team conference tournament. Charleston is at first-place Delaware on Friday and Saturday while Drexel (5-13 in the CAA) hosts UNCW.

“I have challenged this team all year to get better each time we step on the field,” said head coach Tracey Lynch. “This weekend we showed that we are playing our best ball when it matters most.”

McCants allowed only three hits and struck out five in her third shutout of the year. In her two starts against the Tigers, she surrendered only seven hits and two walks while fanning 14 and reached the 100-strikeout mark for the season when she caught Sydni Byers looking in the fifth.

Over her past five appearances, McCants has worked 30.2 innings and given up 12 hits and two runs (one earned) while striking out 37, lowering her season ERA to 2.23.

The Cougar bats were held in check by Julia Jackson until Payton Wade launched a triple to the fence in straightaway center with one out in the sixth. Mia Dittoe followed with another drive to center that was caught on the run by Nicole Kidwiler, but pinch runner Kelli Anne Carter tagged up and easily scored for the lone run of the game.

McCants then finished off her eighth complete game of the season by retiring the Tigers in order in the seventh. Dittoe’s game-winning RBI finished off an outstanding weekend in which she drove in four runs, including a two-run homer in a 2-0 victory in the series opener.

“I am very proud of how this team has represented the New Era of Charleston softball, and we were able to honor each one of our seniors for all they have put into this program,” said Lynch. “This was a special weekend for Team 30 and all those who have supported us throughout the season.”

-www.CofCSports.com-

-----
To unsubscribe, click on this link: Remove