College of Charleston Women's Soccer News: Cougars Drop First Road Game at Mercer

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Women’s Soccer News

August 26, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Cougars Drop First Road Game at Mercer

MACON, GA. – Olivia Freitas tallied the lone College of Charleston goal, but Mercer capitalized on its scoring opportunities in a 4-1 victory on Friday night at Betts Stadium.

The loss was the first of the season for the Cougars after a pair of home victories over Alabama A&M and Coastal Carolina. The Bears (2-0-1) got two goals from Jada Moorman just five minutes apart to take a 2-0 lead in the first half.

Freitas responded in the 35th minute when her shot hit the top center of the net to pull Charleston within a goal. Freitas, who scored her second goal of the season and sixth of her career, led the Cougars with four shots followed by Avery Nassetta with three.

Mercer rebuilt their lead to two just before halftime on a goal by Lana Whitfield and finished the scoring on a goal by Kendall Cook in the 55th minute. Despite the three-goal margin, the Bears only outshot the Cougars, 16-15, including 9-8 on target.

“This was a tough one for us in some of the worst field conditions I’ve seen,” said head coach Christian Michner. “I’m proud of my group for battling, and there were some excellent moments for us. We stayed together and pushed each other until the end. We need to quickly regroup and get ready for Sunday.”

Charleston finishes its trip to the Peach State on Sunday with a 2 p.m. game against Georgia.

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.

Email Facebook Twitter LinkedIn