College of Charleston Women's Soccer News: Slimmer, Stout Defense Power Cougars Past Bulldogs

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Women’s Soccer News

August 18, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Slimmer, Stout Defense Power Cougars Past Bulldogs

MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – Faith Slimmer had a foot in all three College of Charleston goals, and the Cougars put on a dominating defensive display in a 3-0 win over Alabama A&M in the season opener Thursday night at Ralph Lundy Field at Patriots Point.

Slimmer assisted on a pair of first half goals and then scored herself after intermission for a four-point evening. The defense limited the Bulldogs to only seven shots and just one on goal which was saved by Savannah Barron.

“The girls were amped and ready for the match tonight,” said head coach Christian Michner. “I thought Alabama A&M did a good job of throwing some different things at us throughout the game, and we dealt with it very well.”

The Cougars wasted little time in scoring the only goal they would need. Just 14 minutes into the game, Mary Alexander scored her first career goal off Slimmer’s first assist of the night. Freshman Bubbles Dever enjoyed a collegiate debut to remember by scoring with just under four minutes left in the half.

Slimmer assisted on the Dever’s goal, matching her total of two during her freshman season a year ago. She then put the icing on the victory with a goal in the 61st minute, assisted by her sister, Hope.

Barron played the first half in goal, and Katie Carrino was untested in 45 minutes after the break. The Cougars held a 21-7 advantage in shots and took five corner kicks to Alabama A&M’s three.

“In a season opener there are always nerves to work out, and we shook those off pretty quickly before putting our foot on the gas,” said Michner. “I’m proud of the group and the environment they created. We had lots of players get minutes and there were some fantastic debuts. An amazing evening all around.”

Charleston remains home on Sunday for a 7 p.m. match against Coastal Carolina.

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.

Email Facebook Twitter LinkedIn