College of Charleston Men's Soccer News: Elliott Scores Two Goals to Lead Cougars Past Bulldogs

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Men’s Soccer News

September 27, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Elliott Scores Two Goals to Lead Cougars Past Bulldogs

MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – College of Charleston tied its highest-scoring game of the season, paced by a brace from Chris Elliott, in a 3-0 win over UNC Asheville in a non-conference match Tuesday at Ralph Lundy Field at Patriots Point.

The Cougars (3-3-2) matched their previous high goal total set against Monmouth and established a new season best with 24 shots. Meanwhile the defense limited the Bulldogs (1-7-2) to 10 shots and goalkeeper Justin Bauer, making his first start in a Charleston uniform, was forced to make only one save.

Iker Carew gave the Cougars the lead for good in the 24th minute when he scored his second goal of the year, with Chris Matlashewski picking up his first of two assists on the night. Elliott then took over with his fourth and fifth goals of the year in the 66th and 78th minutes to put the game out of reach.

Elliott took over the team lead with five goals, and Matlashlewski now tops the Cougars with four assists. Steven Cahill picked up the assist on Elliott’s first goal.

“I am very happy with the guys’ effort tonight,” said head coach Keith Wiggans. “They did a good job in our press which helped create a ton of chances. I am definitely pleased with three goals and a shutout.”

Seven Cougars finished with multiple shot attempts, led by Carew with five. He was followed by Elliott and Leonardo D’Ambrosio with four, Rio Murray with three and Matlashewski, Eneko Sanchez and Ezra White with two.

Charleston is scheduled to return to CAA play with a home game against William & Mary on Saturday at 1 p.m., but that is subject to change depending on the status of Hurricane Ian.

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.

Email Facebook Twitter LinkedIn