College of Charleston Women's Soccer News: Brace from Grace Powers Cougars Past Lancers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Women’s Soccer News

September 2, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Brace from Grace Powers Cougars Past Lancers

MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – Grace Powell scored both College of Charleston goals in a 2-0 victory over Longwood on Friday night at Ralph Lundy Field at Patriots Point.

The Cougars (3-2) dominated play in recording their third shutout in as many home games. Charleston led in shots, 27-8, with Powell leading the way with six including three on target. Bubbles Dever added four shots.

Katie Carrino went the distance in goal and made six saves in posting the clean sheet. Carrino and Savannah Barron split time in shutout victories over Alabama A&M and Coastal Carolina to begin the season.

“I’m really proud of this group and how they responded in training this week,” said head coach Christian Michner. “It was a great team performance on both sides of the ball. I have to give Longwood the credit they deserve as they really tested us and made us focus for 90 minutes.”

The Lancers (3-2) were whistled for a foul in the box in the 28th minute and Powell converted the penalty kick to give the Cougars a 1-0 lead. It stayed that way until the 62nd minute when Abby Fisher fed Powell, and the senior fired one into the top center of the goal to make it 2-0.

Powell has a team-high three goals on the season and nine in her career. Fisher, a freshman, had her first career assist.

“We’ve got some things to improve on in front of the goal, but another shutout at home has us flying into Sunday,” said Michner. “It will be a quick turnaround to get ready for SC State, but this team is hungry and will be ready to go.”

The Sunday contest against the Bulldogs in Orangeburg is set for a 1 p.m. kickoff.

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.

Email Facebook Twitter LinkedIn