College of Charleston Women's Soccer News: Cougars Rally in Second Half to Gain Draw at William & Mary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

College of Charleston Women’s Soccer News

October 2, 2022

Contact | Mike Hoffman

Cell Phone | 843.302.6193 | E-Mail | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Cougars Rally in Second Half to Gain Draw at William & Mary

WILLIAMSBURG, VA. – Bubbles Dever and Grace Powell scored second half goals to erase a halftime deficit and enable College of Charleston to earn a 2-2 draw with William & Mary on Sunday.

The tie leaves the Cougars with seven points on the strength of a 2-1-1 record in the CAA. Charleston is tied for third along with Monmouth and Northeastern, trailing Drexel (nine points) and the Tribe (eight).

William & Mary scored twice in the opening 20 minutes and led 2-0 after the first half. But it took the Cougars (8-4-1 overall) just 1:36 after intermission when Dever scored her second goal of the year. It stayed that way until the 78th minute when Powell connected for the eighth time this season.

Olivia Freitas and Mary Alexander assisted on the equalizer. Powell’s goal leaves her in a tie for second in the CAA, and she is also third in points (18), second in shots (41) and fifth in shots on goal (20).

“We were a little tentative coming out of the gate and gave up an early goal,” said head coach Christian Michner. “The team steadied itself and got back in the match throughout the first half which was a good sign.

“At halftime we made subtle changes, and it was the magic we needed. The girls were dominant in the second half to fight back and get the draw.”

After allowed the Tribe to get off eight shots in the first half, the Cougar defense limited them to only four over the final 45 minutes. On the offensive end, Charleston had six shots after the break including the two goals and a couple of close misses.

“Honestly, we were unlucky not to have won the game with the amount of good chances we had to score a third goal,” said Michner. “I am so proud of how they responded in this one. A great point on the road.”

The Cougars return home for their next two CAA games, facing Towson on Thursday at 7 p.m. and Elon next Sunday at 1 p.m.

-----
To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE SPORTS as the body of the message.

Email Facebook Twitter LinkedIn